Weight Bias & Stigma > Health Care Providers
American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement Addressing Weight Stigma
Video: Weight Bias in Health Care
Video Discussion Guide
Educational Resource for Medical Professionals
The Rudd Center has developed an online educational resource for health care providers to improve the quality of care for patients with obesity, and help reduce weight stigmatizaiton in clinical settings. For clinicians working with this patient population, this resource equips them with strategies to improve provider-patient communication, make positive changes in the medical office environment, and increase awareness of personal biases that could unintentionally compromise patient care.
This toolkit, with downloadable files, is designed to help health care providers across a variety of practice settings with easy-to-implement solutions and resources to improve delivery of care for patients with overweight and obesity. The resources are designed for busy professionals and customized for various practice settings. They range from simple strategies to improve provider-patient communication and ways to make positive changes in the office environment, to profound ones, including self-examination of personal biases.
This resource is called "Fostering positive weight-related conversations: Evidence of real-life learnings from the heart of care. A Knowledge Translation (KT) Casebook. This practical guide is designged to help healthcare professionals have positive weight-related conversations with children and their families, with some additional information specifically around children with disabilities, an often excluded population.
- Promoting a Positive Office Environment for Patients with Obesity
- Checklist for Assessing the Office Environment
- Motivational Interviewing Strategies
- Motivational Interview Example Scripts
- Assessing Weight Bias with Validated Measures
- Pediatricians: How to Talk to Parents
- How to Have a Productive Conversation about Weight Bias
For Your Patients
- How to be Informed and Assertive
- How to Talk with Your Doctor
- Talking to your Doctor about Your Weight
- If You Are the Target of Weight Bias
Produced by The Strategies to Overcome and Prevent (STOP) Obesity Alliance, this tool equips physicians with skills for building a safe, trusting environment with patients and facilitating productive conversations about weight.
- Publications Database
- Food Marketing Pledges Database
- Policy Briefs and Reports
- Wellness School Assessment Tool
- Revenue Calculator for Sugary Drink Taxes
- Media Gallery
- Legislation Database
- Food Marketing FACTS Reports
- Newsletter Sign Up
- NEW! CACFP Nutrition Standards